Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dan..... - Penny Valladares

This is a message I received from Dan in my facebook inbox the day after his birthday on February 20th. There is much irony in the words as he unfortunately was only able to "out maneuver the bastard" for another 3 weeks. Nonetheless, I was happy to see he 'felt the love' from all his friends and reached out to me to talk about it.

"Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts ... I was most gratified to find that there are rather a formidable number of friends who are cheering me on in the footrace with the Reaper ... the sheer volume of greetings yesterday was enough encouragement to inspire one to continue to out maneuver the bastard for years to come ... hope all is well in your world ... that everybody is healthy and prosperous ... all the best, Dan"

My first memory of Dan was when I used to frequent the head shop in Freedom Palace and he was the cute young babe behind the counter showing me pipes and papers, with his long flowing hair and beautiful blue eyes. He was very quiet and contained. Little did I know then that I would get to know him in later years and become good friends with him. He used to come to my house with my niece Kelly and hang out a lot. Even though there were big lapses of time when I didn't see him over the years, he was always warm and friendly when I finally did again. I took the picture of him down on the Plaza at the Art Fair in 2008 when he was running the sound system for the bands and I happened upon him. When I asked if I could take his picture, he said, "Sure" and gave me that warm smile. He was a really great guy and will truly be missed in this circle of friends he had here in KC.

"Shine on, you crazy diamond..."

No comments:

Post a Comment