Thursday, March 17, 2011

Deb Churchill

With a tear in my eye, a heavy heart and smile on my face, my thoughts drift through memories of Danny.

I remember when he bought his house and was constantly moving things around, making tables out of cardboard tubes and carefully arranging his treasured album collection. He loved music and loved it even more on an LP. Someone will be very honored to catalog that collection with as much passion as he had. Of course you might have a very sore back after moving them though. He told me once, but you have to let me know the total count!

I will remember the blue eyes, somewhat mischievous smile, great laugh and sometimes interesting choice of clothes. There wasn’t anything like watching Danny tell a story or get into a conversation so intently that his head would shake back and forth and his knee would start popping with excitement. One time he was in the moment talking to my sister and I, and his response to something I had said was “Marcus Welby” which to him meant “might as well be.” We have never forgotten that and use it to this day, always with a smile and a laugh.

Dan hired me as a stagehand the very first year Sandstone opened in 1984 when I thought I would just be a ticket taker. He saw my true inner self and potential. He mentored me, supported me, encouraged me and was crucial in the direction of my career. My passion for the entertainment business and my drive to make connections is a result of the impact of my dear friend who yes, was a workaholic with a passion. I would always tell him to slow down, take time for Dan and enjoy life; he would always agree but seemed to never follow through.

Dan was the “King of Froof” and damn good at it, but he has put up his last truss, last lamp, last gel and he is at peace lighting up God’s sky with his special gift. I will cherish those 27 years of memories and friendship and hold him in my heart always. I love you Dan Mayo!

Deb Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment