Monday, March 14, 2011

In remembrance of a True Rockstar, The passing of Daniel E. Mayo



Friends and Family,

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart in which I write this. The DSS family suffered a tragedy yesterday in the passing of Daniel E. Mayo. Dan Mayo, Director of Creative Services for Digital Sound Systems, passed away Sunday morning unexpectedly in his sleep. Dan, who recently celebrated his 59th birthday in February, will be greatly missed. Those who have had the pleasure of knowing Dan understand the great loss to not only his friends and family, but also to the event and entertainment industry in Kansas City.

“Danny”, as he was so affectionately referred to as, was a graduate of the University of Kansas. Dan’s passion for music led him into the entertainment industry during college. Dan dedicated his life to his career. Dan’s list of accomplishments span over 4 decades. His resume includes production managing The Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Martina McBride for years. After coming off the road, Dan’s focus shifted to creating fascinating scenic and lighting designs and managing high profile private and corporate events. Dan’s amazing ability to create stunning visuals and experiences through the use of lighting, were magnificent. Dan was a true master at his craft. In recent years Dan’s career included technical production of the Ballet and Harvest Balls in Kansas City, The 50th annual Grammy Awards party at the Staples center in Los Angeles, as well as numerous fundraisers including Jazoo and Treads and Threads.

I met Dan when I was 13 years old when the company he worked for provided the lighting for numerous television events for my father. Since that time, Danny has been a mentor and a friend who has helped shape me as a person and as a businessman. In my early days of running DSS, I would often overstep my understanding of what the expectations of working in the music industry were and what needed to be delivered. Danny was always the first person to step in and offer me assistance and try to help save me from myself. Of course, it was never without an extended conversation of my shortcomings. Danny was a teacher and a mentor, not just to me, but to all of our staff. His demand for perfection and passion for his craft is what made Danny who he was. He was as unique and eclectic as the lighting designs and stage sets he created.

Danny had an unrivaled sense of wit and mastery of communication. The product of two high school English teachers, Danny was never at a loss for words. Even in times of sadness, Dan had an eloquent way of expressing himself. In a Facebook post that Dan had made supporting a friend who recently suffered a loss, Dan had this to say.

... sorry to hear about that... in truth, I didn't actually discover that I myself was mortal until a few years ago... it only served to piss me off at the time... however, I have discovered that time only manages to ravage those who make the tactical error of acknowledging the damage ... just have to create the illusion that one is too eccentric to pass ... at least that's worked for me up to this point ... at one point , in a moment of exemplary irony, I decided on a suitable epitaph, should the need arise at some far distant moment in the future ... simple but to the point ... "It seemed like a good idea, at the time..." ...would seem to cover a variety of possibilities, don't you think ??

January 25, 2010 at 5:51pm

Yes, Mr. non-conforming, was a member of Facebook.

Danny continued the same support for me personally and the production company that I am so proud to represent today. In October, Danny was a groomsman in my wedding. To say that Danny was important to me and my family is an understatement. Danny spent every Easter, Christmas, and birthday with us.

I am certain that anyone who knows Dan has a similar story to mine. It is no secret as to how he cared for people and how important he was to us. He was a mentor, educator and father figure for many in our company. A person like Dan is never replaced. I ask for your prayers for his family and the DSS family as we try to transition through this difficult loss.

Arrangements are being made and I will send out information as it develops.



With Love and Respect,

Jeremy

President

Digital Sound Systems, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful tribute to my Uncle, it's brought a smile to my face today.

    -Michelle Zastrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - Your uncle was one in a million. We are so very sorry for your loss. We MISS HIM!

    ReplyDelete